Food & Nutrition Virtual Meal Plan
Food & Nutrition Virtual Meals Plan
“To Go” Meal Guidance:
· All buildings will distribute meals to students from 11am – 1pm, except Ruby Van Meter/Smouse, Kurtz and Early Childhood Centers (McKee, Woodlawn, Taylor & Mitchell)
· Harding, Hoyt, McCombs, Merrill, Meredith, and Weeks will be open again Monday – Friday from 4 – 6pm for working families to come and pick up meals for their students at home. These sites were chosen based on location.
· Any student/parent of DMPS can go to any school to get their meal, parents don’t need to drive to the school(s) their students are registered in
· Students will not need to be present in the car to receive a meal, but we must have their student ID number to put in the F&N system.
· USDA does not allow weekend meals through the National School Lunch Program
· We will only have one menu district-wide at this time, trying to focus on student favorites and products that are easy to reheat. The Food & Nutrition department will provide families a copy of reheating instructions. No raw meat products will be distributed.
· Each meal handed out should have all components for breakfast and lunch
· Special Diets will be ordered through F/N department. Parents can contact Anita Turczynski, Food & Nutrition Dietician (anita.turczynski@dmschools) for special diets.
· Meals will be distributed in the parking lots of school buildings
o Managers will work with building administrators to determine what parking lot is best
· Students whose home school is a Free Breakfast/Lunch school will continue to receive meals at no cost.
· Parents/students should have their student(s) ID number memorized to keep the lines of cars moving. The Food & Nutrition Department will send a letter to families with all student ID numbers listed.
Pick a Better Snack Guidance:
· All lessons will be live virtual, we are exploring the Teams platform.
· We will start some, if not all lessons in September.
· We will combine sections of grades for school buildings.
· Tastings, stickers, BINGO cards and other prizes will still be provided.
· Newsletters will be distributed virtually.
Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program:
· The grant has not been awarded yet by USDA. We do not know if any schools have been awarded the grant for the school year.